|“||You've met your match, samurai! Crush him! Crush, crush, crush, crush, CRUSH!||”|
Demongo, also known as The Soul Collector, was one of Aku's strongest minions and was a soul or essence collector. He was sent after Jack after he managed to stay alive after Aku's constant attempts on his life.
Demongo is similar to his master, Aku, as he is completely evil, but is more cowardly than his master is. He does not fight his own battles, but summons the essence of mighty warriors to fight for him. Demongo is obsessed with collecting the essences of powerful warriors and beasts to increase his own power. However, he likely did have some level of formidable ability, as he most likely had to defeat at least one powerful warrior to begin his collection. He sees Samurai Jack as just another potential addition to his collection. His voice is quite high-pitched and whenever he says "master", he says it like "mast-aa", with the final syllable almost in a whisper.
Like Aku, Demongo was spawned from the Pit of Hate. He was likely created by Aku to collect the essence of warriors, as some of them were once "thorns on Aku's side" and then enslave them to do their captor's biddings as obedient minions.
Demongo manages to survive a little longer than other villains (besides Aku) in the series. After Jack frees the souls entrapped within him, they are resurrected as flesh and blood warriors, rendering him weak and powerless. The only power that might remain is his teleportation. When this happened, he was confronted by the now-living warriors and was quickly overwhelmed and killed. His essence was then absorbed by Aku into a glass skull. Demongo (as an essence) begged Aku for forgiveness, but Aku refused, crushed his prison and vowed to find another way to defeat the samurai. (Episode XXIII: Jack versus Demongo, The Soul Collector)
Demongo returns in Episode XCVII having somehow survived when he enters the Da Samurai's bar while he explains his story to Ashi. He states that he is searching for the essence of powerful warriors to steal, but upon seeing the deteriorated state of the bar's occupants, comments that there were none at the bar and leaves. (Episode XCVII)
He was presumably erased from existence after the destruction of Aku in the past since he was seemingly his creation.
Powers and Abilities
- Soul Absorption: Demongo's main forte lies in his ability to absorb the souls of defeated warriors to add to his collection that are stored within skulls that are placed on his upper torso. However he has virtually no personal fighting ability of his own.
- Limitless Spirits: Once Demongo takes control of an essence he can recreate it as a full warrior indefinitely, effectively making his warriors immortal.
- Teleportation: Demongo is also capable of teleporting from one place to another at astonishing rates.
- Reanimation Ray: A yellow white flashing ray that can release an essence from inside the skull.
- Resurrection: When Jack released Demongo's hold on his victim's souls, they were returned alive rather than passing on. This was accidental on Demongo's part. Demongo was shown to be back in the world of the living in Episode XCVll long after the time Aku executed him long ago but it wasn't shown how.
- Given that he is a demon, he is immortal and able to perform self-resurrection with his body and powers restored.
- "What is thy bidding, my Mast-aa?!"
- "The more essence I take, the more powerful I become, my mast-aa. I cannot be defeated."
- "Samurai Jack? A prize indeed. The Greatest of all warriors."
- "It is as good as done, my Mast-aa!"
- "You are mistaken."
- I am the dealer of destruction the merchant of doom and I seek you, Samurai Jack."
- "Aku has sent me to destroy you."
- "No, Mast-aa. Please, forgive me!"
- "I have returned!"
- "I, Demongo, have come to collect the souls of the greatest warriors!"
- "But, I see, I have come to the wrong place!"